Making a complaint is one way that helps organisations to learn lessons from their mistakes and to prevent them from happening to anyone else.

How can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint in writing, by email, over the telephone or in person. Your complaint should be made as soon as possible.  This should be within a year of the event. You can make a complaint on your own or on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Who should I contact with my complaint?

Please find a summary of all complaints contact in the Complaints Leaflet.

Doctor (GP), dentist, pharmacist or optometrist.

Contact the service directly or the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on:
Phone: 0300 311 22 33 (this is charged as a local rate call)
Address: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Hospitals, Mental Health, Community and other services 

All services providing NHS care will have a complaints process in line with the NHS complaints process.  If you have a complaint about a hospital, mental health, community or other NHS service, you should direct this to the organisations directly.  Should you wish for us to be aware of your complaint please send a copy of your complaint to us (contact details below), however the responsibility for investigating the issues remains with the service complained about.

NHS services commissioned for the people of Barking and Dagenham

We investigate complaints about the services we commission or ‘buy’ for local residents, such as hospital, community and mental health services, with support from NHS NEL Commissioning Support Unit (NELCSU). If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision made by us, please contact us in writing by email at:, telephone: 020 3688 1666 or by post at:

Barking and Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge CCGs,

Complaints team
c/o 5th Floor, Becketts House,
2-14 Ilford Hill,
Ilford, IG1 2QX 

To help us understand your concerns we will need to share your complaint with NELCSU and they may require access to your health records if necessary.  We are therefore required to seek your consent to do this or the patient’s consent if you are complaining on someone’s behalf and have created the following consent forms to be completed: BHR CCGs patient consent form 1 (Self) BHR CCGs patient consent form 2 (Third party) Please complete the relevant form and include with your complaint as this will ensure there is no delay to your complaint being dealt with.  Any information you provide will be treated in strict confidence and handled in a safe and secure manner.  Depending on the nature of your complaint, NELCSU may also need to share your information with other NHS providers of care. NEL CSU will retain personal information for the purpose of this complaint investigation only.  In order for us to make improvements to the services you receive, anonymous information about your complaint may be shared as part of our reporting process. 

Information on how to make a complaint can be made available in other languages, on audio cassette or CD, in large print, Braille and in illustrated format. Interpreters can also be arranged, including sign interpreters.

Can I get help and support with making my complaint?

Yes. An organisation called the NHS Complaints Advocacy can provide you with support and advocacy. You can contact their helpline number on: 0300 330 5454 (open Monday to Friday: 9am-5pm). 

What will happen once I make my complaint?

Complaints will be dealt with in a manner that is proportional to the issues raised. Your complaint will be investigated and the NHS organisation responsible will aim to resolve the concerns and, where needed, will take action to prevent the incident from happening again.

Will my complaint remain confidential?

Your right to confidentiality will be respected throughout the investigation. However, there may be times when we need to share information without your consent, for example to protect children and vulnerable adults.
What if I am still not satisfied?

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint you should contact the service directly to see if they can look into the case further. You also have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although the Ombudsman can waive them if it is perceived that there is good reason to do so. You can contact their helpline on 0345 015 4033 or

Further information is also available at You can write to the Ombudsman at: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

Page last updated 07 March 2019